Enabling Mixed Content
Users may occasionally be unable to view content linked externally from Blackboard, receiving an error message or receiving a page that is blank or seems to be incomplete.
- Click on Tools at the top of the browser menu bar.
- Select Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab at the top.
- Click the Custom Level… button.
- Scroll about halfway down to the Miscellaneous heading (denoted by a “blank page” icon).
- Under this heading is the option Display Mixed Content; set this to Enable.
- Click OK, then Yes when prompted to confirm the change, then OK to close the Options window.
- Close and restart the browser.
Viewing certain types of embedded content and some external links from Blackboard will prompt an alert icon (lock) in the address bar which, when moused over, provides a warning that the page contains insecure content. Below is a brief explanation of the lock icons that block insecure elements from loading within the browser. Follow the “Unblock mixed content” steps to allow the content to display:
No mixed content: Secure
: You’ll see a green lock when you are on a fully secure page. To see if Firefox has blocked parts of the page that are not secure, click the green lock icon.
Mixed content is blocked: Not Secure
: A grey lock with an orange triangle indicates that Firefox is not blocking insecure passive content. Attackers may be able to manipulate parts of the page, for example, by displaying misleading or inappropriate content, but they shouldn’t be able to steal your personal data from the site.
Unblock mixed content
Unblocking insecure elements is not recommended, but can be done if necessary:
- Click the lock icon in the address bar.
- Click the arrow on the Control Center.
- To enable protection, follow the preceding steps and click
For more information, please see the following Mozilla Support article:
Viewing certain types of embedded content and some external links from Blackboard will prompt an alert icon in the address bar which, when moused over, provides a warning that the page contains insecure content. Use the following steps to allow the content to display:
- Click the alert shield icon in the address bar.
- In the icon dialog box, click Load anyway.
- The site will reload.
- Upon returning to the page or link in question, the content will now be visible.